13 February 2012

Mommy Monday :: Soup-Soup-Soup

I am always struggling with knowing what to give Aiden to eat, I want him to eat healthy and not the same things alllll the time. Anyway, I end up buying cans of soup every week and he has that a lot. So the other day I thought- why not make a big pot of soup and freeze individual servings for Aiden?! DUH, why didn't I think of it before. Definitely cheaper and without all the preservatives and stuff. So, I went looking for a vegetable soup recipe and I found this one.


Chunky Veggie Soup
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
2 stalks of celery, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
1 tbsp fresh thyme
sea salt and fresh ground pepper
2 x cans of chopped tomatoes (14oz)
1 1/2 litres of water or stock
1 cup of pasta (your choice)

In a large sauce pan over medium heat add the oil, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme and salt and pepper and cook until just soft. Add the tomatoes and water and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the pasta and cook for another 8-10 min. Serves 4-6.

So I started with my vegetables and I added some zucchini and fresh greens beans to the mix. Can't go wrong with more veggies.


I only used about 3 1/2 cups of chicken stock since I didn't add the pasta to the cooking and since Aiden doesn't really need a lot of broth.





I just thought this was cool. :)

Now, I didn't add the pasta only because pasta takes up so much space and I wasn't sure how it would freeze, so I'll probably just add some each time I give it to him.



After I took this picture I poured one of these in Aiden's bowl and it was way too much for a serving, so I got two more containers out of it. Yay! I gave him some the next day and he loved it and so did I! I will be doing this again. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels


About Me

My photo
I am a follower of Jesus and I am committed to living life for Him. I am the wife of a wonderful man who loves me so much and the mother to the best two little boys! I love my family to pieces and miss them everyday! I love my friends (obviously) lol. They all are such a joy to me! I am a youth pastors wife and I enjoy being involved in the lives of teens and just people in general. I love photography and find so much joy in the moments I want to remember being saved in time. Last but not least I love sunshine and being warm. :) That's me in a nutshell, the important things anyways. :)

Followers